Home grown food and moar

Home Forums Member Created Forums The Urban Pepper’s Forum Home grown food and moar

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by LionLady LionLady 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

This is QE 2 of the Home grown food forum. This forum is for anyone who wants to share your home grown food pictures or just some great recipes. (Bacon, sausage and whole pigs are allowed:)

Keep calm and keep growing, Mr Pepper

**edit from Mrs. Cog: The first Home Grown Food thread is archived and closed for comments but is still available to view here: http://twoicefloes.com/forums/topic/home-grown-food/

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Last nights din din

For the pasta sauce I used these ingredients

3 whole red tomatoes

Fresh basil in bulk from the grow room

Cilantro also from room

Olive oil and  Garlic mixed in a processer

For the salad

Kale, arugula, little gem lettuce, rocky red leaf lettuce, redina red leaf lettuce, Simpson green leaf lettuce, basil and a little sage, all from the grow room:)

Red onion and some Kickles ( pickles) I have this friend who picks them up for me once a year http://www.yelp.com/biz/apple-shed-lovingston I’ve been hooked on them for 3 years now.

I’ll tell it’s really cool walking in the room and getting your fresh ingredients for dinner:) and then going back for additional ingredients:):). It’s going to be a good winter.

din11142014

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Habanero Chili Pepper powder take one

Picture-009Picture-010Picture-013Picture-014

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Habanero Chili Pepper powder take two in progress

Second batch is dehydrating on the porch ( not an inside project) if breathing is important to you. I picked the remaining peppers today for batches 3 and 4.

Picture-018Picture-021Picture-023

Attachments:
      On the Beach
      On the Beach
      Participant

Hi Mr. Pepper:

Since you have Pepper as a handle and grow so many peppers I would like to share a pepper recipe with you that came from some Bengali friends of mine.

Indians eat all sorts of preserved vegetable pickles with their food and this is a type of pickling, but unlike anything I had heard of before.

For this you need fresh Cayenne peppers in their immature green-yellow state, not red.

A glass canning jar with glass lid. The Italian style with wire clamp works best.

Lots of fresh ripe limes.

Hot water.

Sterilize the jar in boiling water in the usual method.

Juice the limes to give you enough fresh lime juice to fill the jar.

Very briefly wash the peppers in almost boiling water.

Pack the peppers into the jar and cover completely with lime juice.

Seal the jar and place in the hottest sun you have. Leave the jar outside in the sun for several weeks. Watch for some fermentation action and release the seal on the lid daily to vent off CO2. This will stop in a few days.

The combination of the acid in the lime juice and the hot sun will pickle the peppers. They stay good to eat for a long time but mine never lasted too long because I ate them!

Fresh cayenne peppers are spicy hot but I think you could use this pickling method with any pepper. The taste is very unusual.

The Urban Pepper
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Hi OTB,

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I definitely can use the ideas for these things, one can only freeze so many. I tried something like that last year making a balm with cayenne peppers, I still have them but never tested it( chicken I am) sometimes. I grew cayenne peppers this past year in containers, next year I’m going to do them in the Hydroponics system. I’m going to do a better variety in the system next year as the production far exceeds the containers with a lot of benefits to boot.

Thanks for stopping by OTB, sometimes the voices from furthest away are the best:)

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

So, I hafta ask… what happened when you started dehydrating the chili peppers indoors? (Feel free to leave anything really gory out lol)

The Urban Pepper
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Well Mrs Cog since you asked,

I used to farm this stuff out to the kids and I vaguely remember ( now) that they said these peppers were brutal on the lungs, eyes, nose and hands. I can now remember that they said they wore masks and gloves while cutting them, dehydrating and grinding them up. (There’s a lesson in here somewhere)

Now the hand thing I remember all to well due to my own hands ( lol) I cut some peppers up and rubbed my eyes 5 hours later after washing hands several times and my eye was burning so badly. The only way to make the pain go away was to close your eye and the pain slowly goes away, lesson learned.

Moving on now, so with my trusty gloves on I’m cutting the peppers in half so they fit in the dehydrator and then my eyes start watering a little bit and my nose starts running a little bit and( insert gory stuff here) so I panic and move dehydrator to the grow room so I can breathe easier. I then open all the windows to air out the house and after an hour I went into the grow room and was knocked off my feet from the air. I quickly move the dehydrator to the front porch and that is where it’s going to stay. You can even smell it from the sidewalk as three people have commented, too funny.

LionLady
          LionLady
          Participant

Howdy, Mr. P!

Ah, the Habanero/a – a lively Spanish dance requiring fast feet and a good sense of humor! LOL!

My Significant Other has had the same ‘lively’ adventures with these cute ‘lil critters – the last time he prepped out his famously HOT chili sauce (for his brekkie eggs), I had to leave the room after closing the kitchen door to the rest of the house. Lethal! It took several hours of open windows and ceiling fan activity to clear the decks. Whew! Them’s truly SERIOUS chiles!

BTW, I have the exact, same dehydrator! Amazing. Guess we’re sorta in synch, preservation-wise. I dry a lot of things – peppers included – but mostly thinly-sliced fruit as we have a massive orchard and I cannot stand to waste Nature’s bounty – so it gets dried for winter snacking. The chiles? Once dried, I let his Nibs do the powdering . . . but in his mortar/pestle arrangement, NOT in my old Cuisinart! No way to get the hot out of the plastic, once that’s happened. It taints everything else for ages. Just a little hint to those who might think that’s a great shortcut. You will regret it for weeks!

Hope you are doing well and that your indoor jungle is thriving. We’re shut down here for winter – about time! – but will ramp back up in early Spring. For now, it means I can return to TIF and do some much-needed updating in my rusty, dusty, cobweb-ridden Forum.

See you in the stacks, my friend! :)
          L/L

The Urban Pepper
            The Urban Pepper
            Participant

Hello Ms Lion Lady:)

Long time no see, Hope all is well with you and Mr Lion Lady. The jungle is coming along nicely, added some more lettuce and just maintaining it until next year. I’ve been busy with these peppers, dehydrating them and making some interesting chili powder. I’ve been testing the stuff in eggs and other recipes and I also found some other willing victims, I mean participants:) to try the powder out. Now that I  have a dedicated Cuisinart chopper/grinder® for my peppers I can finish off the remaining 1000 of them.

I moved the dehydrator to the laundry room and I do all the cutting outside now, it was the right thing to do. Picture 12 is my latest batch and it was dehydrating for three days. I’m messing around with some labels for my jars(Pic 5) more like warning labels, it’s all good clean fun.

Ms Lion Lady thanks for stopping by and please stop by more often. Feel free to post some pics of all the yummy stuff that you preserve. ( this is me begging for content) and to all others who are visiting.

Attachments:
              LionLady
              LionLady
              Participant

Howdy, Mr. P:

Gorgeous – if lethal! – images. Thanks for posting them – LOVE the plate! LOL!

I will be posting a brief comment over on Tea with Tigger regarding my latest disappearing act. Do come by for a read – all will be revealed.

Please know that I deeply enjoy our exchanges and will try very hard to be more present, now that certain aspects of my life are in flux towards easier times. It’s been a major mission, these past few months . . .

Best!!!!!! L/L

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thoughts From Cognitive Dissonance Ψ ψ

s2Member®