Home grown food

This topic contains 71 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by LionLady LionLady 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Cucumbers and cherry tomatoes

Picture-022

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Last night’s dinner, Homemade pesto sauce from the basil with Macaroni ( already took the beating for using macaroni ) added some parsley also. The macaroni actually worked out well for tonight’s dinner. I also got kudo’s for nicer paper plates.

Picture-0092

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Tonight’s dinner consists of  Arugula, green leaf lettuce,Kale, red onion, cherry tomato, radish and cucumbers, leftover macaroni with pesto and added some fresh Parmesan cheese. I redeemed myself from last night.

Picture-050

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Before macaroni.

Picture-0461

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Picked today:)

Picture-041

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Just pulled these they’re a little small, but I’ll come up with something. Maybe I will cook them with the collard greens that I’ve never had. From what I understand they are very good for you.  Put it on the list of things to research.

Picture-034

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

A coworker of mine today that has a similar grow system said her tomatoes were not ripe and she was fighting the urge to go to the grocery store to buy some. She has kept me in fresh eggs for the last year. I said don’t buy them,  I’ll get you some when I go home for lunch. I gave her a bag of tomatoes, arugula and kale. She was very, very happy.

Picture-033

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Picked today and finally got some big salad cucumbers, the wait is over!!!

Picture-018

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

As the co-chair person of the Two Ice Floes Canning Brigade, I feel it is my duty to alert you that continuing to grow these cucumbers at just any old time of the year may result in pickling recipes and lessons from the peanut gallery here. :-) I see mason jars and a canner in someone’s future… just sayin’ lol.

The Urban Pepper
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

I believe you are correct with the canning aspect. The day before my very good friends Valerie and Tom Tom announced they are moving up north. I really hate losing good friends. I know I’m not losing them for good, it’s just not seeing them everyday is going to be tough.  I’m going to miss them dearly. Mr Pepper has been sad all week:(

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

I just picked these today in the pouring rain, I didn’t get wet though. These were grown in the dutch bucket system and they are under the covered porch. I did eat a couple as I was picking them:)

Picture-124

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

The cucumber I found in the picture yesterday turned out to be fatter than the first one. I know, I really need to get some new and exciting paper plates. I’m working on it:)

Picture-005

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

I just picked these after finding the spider mites on another plant. Did I mention I loath spider mites?

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

My first Hungarian wax hot pepper, cucumber and some Cherry tomatoes picked yesterday.

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

I picked these yesterday and this morning.

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Picked this morning:)

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Some lettuce, arugula, radish, beans and a pepper picked today.

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

The sexiest thing I’ve ever seen:)

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

No, no, no, no! Major party foul on Mr. Pepper! No bacon images allowed. What a tease. And on the homegrown food thread too lol! I suppose there is a pig pen where you raised the “organic” bacon behind the hydroponics tent?? Pictures or it didn’t happen! LOL

Disenchanted
    Disenchanted
    Participant

For some odd reason, all of a sudden I’m really hungry.

Thanks Mr. Pepper. ;)

"There is a dream dreaming all of us." ~ Kalahari Bushmen

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

!00% Sexy without Bacon.

My lunch today:)

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Sorry no bacon in this picture:(

Picture-043

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Six types of peppers picked today:)

Picture-021

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
    Keymaster

Oh m’ gosh – MORE zucchini. I’ve deep fried it, beer battered it, baked it, made four kinds of zucchini chips and canned bread and butter zucchini pickles. Tonight, It’s Cog’s “skets” night (he makes a mean gluten free spaghetti meal) and I have talked him into… yep zucchini in the sauce lol. After dinner, I am canning dill zucchini pickles, dill cucumber pickles and if I have time, blueberry jam.

I spoke with a friend who is a lifelong farmer and canner who is walking me through tomato prep lol. It seems I need a Victorio strainer with all the attachments for my homemade spaghetti sauces and tomato soups.

Last night we had homemade pizza smothered in fresh onions and green peppers from the garden.

How is your garden coming along Mr. Pepper? Getting close to jumping into canning for your next peck of pickled peppers? :-)

The Urban Pepper
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

I’ve deep fried it, beer battered it, baked it, made four kinds of zucchini chips and canned bread and butter zucchini pickles. Tonight, It’s Cog’s “skets” night (he makes a mean gluten free spaghetti meal) and I have talked him into… yep zucchini in the sauce lol. After dinner, I am canning dill zucchini pickles, ” NO BACON wrapped Zucchini”, That actually sounds pretty good, Lol

Your garden looks really good and those tomato plants are blasting. I hope you post some pictures when you start picking them, for some reason I see truck loads of tomatoes.  My zucchini and yellow squash didn’t make it this year along with five other people that had the same problems I had with the fruit shriveling up, The plants( no mildew) and the root systems ( no root rot) were perfect. It really sucks because I love grilling them in a little olive oil, sea salt, cracked pepper and a couple of minutes on a hot grill.

I need to farm out (pun intended) the canning process this year, I have too many unfinished projects that I need to finish. So far I’m doing pretty good at eating a lot of it myself 4 to 6 servings per day, but I still give some away:)

Mr Pepper

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

7 types of peppers picked yesterday, they are  Habanero, hungarian wax, peruvian purple, green, paper lanterns , green chiles and sweet purple. I had them with some tuna for lunch:-)

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

A little heat:)

Picture-005

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Mr Pepper picked a lot of peppers today.

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Some heat with my farm fresh eggs, 2 hungarian wax peppers, 1 paper lantern ( Ouch) and some cherry tomatoes. Throw in some bacon and toast and enjoy:)

Picture-085Picture-081

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Last night I infused some cayenne peppers with olive oil. I put it all the in the chopper and added some fresh parsley from the garden, drained the pasta and poured in the sauce. It was pretty hot but not too hot. Mr Pepper is starting to get the hang of this cooking thing:)

I picked the stuff in the picture today, the cayenne peppers upper right corner. Those are the first cucumbers from the box I built 45 days ago. The second picture shows bean activity from the same box, Yea!!!

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
    Keymaster

With the kitchen all but finished, it is just in the nick of time for serious canning.

The blackberries are still doing their thing. Now that the rain clouds have shut off the spicket, I am getting about a quart per day again without much effort.

The first few tomatoes that have turned red, or fell off their vines in the rain storms are drying on my piano with the first onions while the kitchen remains a construction zone.

running out of room

I picked the first of the snap beans today. They are a favorite of Cog’s and the child, not mine. But drizzle a smidge of honey over them steamed and I can get them down. ;-)

todays first pickins

I am drying herbs (this is more peppermint for tea) where ever I can. :-)

more peppermint drying

Thank goodness no more boiling the kettle and blanching in the basement. I must have frozen 60+ halved green peppers and 50+ zucchini down there already.

Attachments:
      The Urban Pepper
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

Mrs Cog,

You do have a green thumb, everything looks awesome. Now if you see Mr Cog staring at the food in a weird way, snap your fingers near his ear, because he’s most likely having another attack  of  “Container fixation syndrome”.

The only “Container fixation syndrome” I have is when I stare at the most lovely Mrs. Cog. She is one hell of a container.  :)

Cognitive Dissonance

LionLady
      LionLady
      Participant

Hi, Mrs. C:

OKAY – this is the kind of running copy with inserted/embedded personal images that I’m trying to do with no success. I want to upload my own images instead of pulling them off the web and place them into the running copy as illustrations of what I’m saying; but when the IMG box opens, it asks for the image’s http:// code. Obviously, I don’t have such for my desktop images, so how is this done?

Thank you for any enlightenment you can provide. I’m stomping about in my new sandbox over at my Forum, but not getting anywhere. A kind word at your leisure would be most appreciated, probably posted under Buttonology, where it can help others as well. I’ll cross-post to this comment over there in a sec.

L/L

LionLady
    LionLady
    Participant

Hi, Mrs. Cog – and Mr. UrbanPepper:

I have to be careful when I get to this thread . . . I get hungry just scrolling down all the visual entries!

This is a favorite thread for me to cruise through each time I come here – and now that our own new and revised gardens are finally up and running at our current home in the outback/hamadulas/back country, I may even post some imagery here myself. I finally feel confident that when I share my own items with y’all, I can at least come close to the YUM factor already established here.

Mr. Urban Pepper, I will second Cog’s query elsewhere regarding his fascination with your tantalizingly eclectic growing containers, since we have vast space at our own digs in which to garden – and my only container gardens are seasonal ones outdoors on our large front deck.

However, we have winters with 18 – 20 degree freezes, so during those much colder months I’d love to be able to keep on going indoors, for fresh yummies. If you ever feel so inclined, perhaps you could establish a TIF/Online School for WannaBe Indoor Container Gardeners? Just a thought; I totally get that you KNOW what you’re doing. I for one would enjoy sitting at your feet and taking copious notes on this subject. Any interest???? :)

Your Devoted Fan,
    L/L

Mrs Cog has finally released me from the leg irons now that the kitchen is done….mostly……other than a few small trim items.

Speaking of winters, no sooner did Mrs. Cog tell me the major projects for this year were done did she begin to mumble something about greenhouses.

Can I escape to your place? I’ll work for food and some dry straw with the chickens.

Cognitive Dissonance

The Urban Pepper
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Mr Cog

I’ve been looking into building one with old discarded windows. I could see you building one of these:)

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/be/f3/f5bef3d8ab3701d7f9e65d7b3066c720.jpg

I thought about this last summer when Mrs Cog first started talking greenhouses. The problem is that we live in a poor county surrounded by slightly less poor counties. Around here everything is used and reused until it is exhausted. So one doesn’t find a cache of used windows hanging around.

Around here all the old buildings are either being used or falling down and all the glass is already gone.

Cognitive Dissonance

Mrs Cog
            Keymaster

Baby, maybe you just need to poke around those old building a bit more carefully to find the old windows to “re-purpose”?

old-building

Attachments:

Yup. Looks like plenty of intact glass left in that ole pile of bones. I’ll go in and take a look if you’ll stand guard outside and keep those mean bunnies away.

Cognitive Dissonance

On the Beach
                On the Beach
                Participant

Hi CD:

I know you probably don’t want to hear about this but I’ll send you a design I created when I lived in Seattle that I used to make temporary work structures on job sites. Dirt cheap and strong enough, made out of nothing more than 1/2″ cheapest grade exterior ply ripped into 4″ strips. I got the idea from a temporary structure I saw made over a boat repair in the San Juans. We used blue tarps to create a water proof roof over the arch shape but you could use clear 6 mil poly as a test greenhouse for Mrs. Cog to see how winter gardening works. Literally a day or two and a couple hundred dollars and you would have a test greenhouse for her. Sure easier, cheaper and faster than anything else you can do.

The Urban Pepper
            The Urban Pepper
            Participant

Mr Cog,

This video shows how to make a Greenhouse. I priced the cow panels last year at Tractor Supply @ $22.00 each http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h?cm_vc=-10005  which isn’t bad. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKlXs8iov0

Mr Pepper

That is really quite remarkable. Looks very sturdy after it is framed out. Downright cheap and long lasting if you use pressure treated wood and a decent mil thickness plastic. Worse case you replace the plastic every few years. Might even want to paint the cattle panel with something to hold back the rust.

My only problem is transporting the 16 foot long cattle panels.

Cognitive Dissonance

The Urban Pepper
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

Mrs LionLady

Thank you for the kindest words and I’m also a  fan of yours. I always look forward to reading your thread. It’s a very interesting forum. I think it would be wonderful if you shared your pictures with the other inmates:) I also like your idea on the online TIF school and maybe we could expand it to other subjects like canning, sewing and  Goat herding. I’ll get some thoughts together and try to put something up soon.

Thanks again

Mr Pepper

LionLady
        LionLady
        Participant

Oh, Goodie Gumdrops! I’m gonna get to learn how to grow stuff YOUR WAY!!!! Tres cool! I’m all ears (as you may suspect, we Lions have nice, big furry ones)!

Also – I think the idea of sharing here at TIF regarding our personal skills and passing them on to others is exactly what a community of minds like this is really all about. I can kick in on some of the canning/preserving/drying/jerking/hunting follow-through food preservation stuff, as well as a number of other things such as Tah-DAH! – sewing: pattern & garment making, repairs, recycling, repurposing, etc. Buttons, patches, you-name-it. Plus other stuff.

For over 20 years I used to write How-To books professionally, and would love to share what I know about several areas that are going to be extremely useful quite soon. We’re all going to need to remember some real basics as life continues to crumble around us – and that was the job I was handed when I came back here this time: be able to teach others about the simple stuff and how to take care of ourselves, because we’re all going to need to know this stuff, for real.

Mr. Pepper, I salute you – and all the other Pepper-Uppers here who are sharing what they know.

:) LionLady

The Urban Pepper
          The Urban Pepper
          Participant

Mrs Lion Lady,

Your timing on the idea was perfect as I’ve been thinking of some new things to do in the grow room. Thanks for the extra motivation that I needed. We’re going to do some really COOL stuff and we’re going to have fun.. I hope your ready:) What do you want to call the thread?

Have a great night,

Mr Pepper

Attachments:
            LionLady
            LionLady
            Participant

Hi, Mr. Pepper:

Great. I will gladly participate as much as I can, given that I’m still scrabbling mightily on the uphill climb to get my own Forum stuff workable and running quiet. I think I’m about to get close to that and, when I do, I will gladly come over here and frivol about with you on various useful topics such as we’ve now discussed.

As for what do I want to call the thread – dunno. It’s hopefully not going to be just my thread but rather an ‘OUR thread’ kind of work in progress. At least, I hope it is! Ideas? Suggestions?

My initial request was for some pithy input from your vast amount of container gardening wisdom – especially for the container-challenged amongst us – i.e. myself – as well as to address the voracious desire of Cog himself for all the skinny on your various container visuals and revelations about their source/purpose/intent.

I just wanna know how to grow stuff indoors in winter, without all the issues I now have with house plants (who tend to hate me). So, if we start there, perhaps I would have time to whip my Forum into some kind of shape and then segue on over to add/manage a thread regarding sewing, repairs, etc. What do you think?

Perhaps Mrs. C. as our in-house maven for such things would have some input on this idea? And maybe we should also request input from the rest of the inmates here as to what they’d like to learn about from us. No sense blathering on about something no one is interested in.

How about it, gang? Any requests/interests/curiosities you’d like addressed? If I know, I’ll share . . . and I’m sure there are others here with gems and pearls to lay out for our collective edification.

Yes? No? Do tell; I’m all ears (as I’ve said elsewhere).
            L/L

The Urban Pepper
              The Urban Pepper
              Participant

Hi Mrs. Lion Lady,

I know you have a lot of stuff going on, so take your time, no rush. I’m taking a long break from my carrot chasing activities in mid August. Where is our Maven today? What are her thoughts?  Could we make it a simple Q&A format on certain skill sets? Thoughts?

Have a Great Day, Mr Pepper

LionLady
    LionLady
    Participant

OK – Mr. Pepper:

I am waylaying you over here – stalking if you will, as we lions are really good at that – to re-post a note I just left for you over in my Sandbox, just in case.

To Quote Myself:

“NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!

My very Dear Mr. P – haven’t you noticed that your right leg is a tad longer now than your left one? That’s due to ME, gently pulling on it. :)

I have a wicked sense of humor but I never really mean it! I am delighted that you wanna play over there and I’m actually beyond amused by your crazy, cool amazing Avatar offerings.

I made my Sandbox for all and sundry – not just my fuzzy self. You are THE king of your realm over here in Veggie-Land. While I scurry around over there shaking my rattles and making shamanic whoopie noises, you’re quietly growing great stuff and sharing about it. I wish I could do that too!

When I show up at your digs, I expect to respectfully sit at your feet and take copious notes on all the wonderful things you know how to do . . . ’cause I DON’T. I’m totally a D-U-H regarding the magic of growing things. If you look closely at my thumbs you will see that they are NOT green – they are moldy, black things yearning to breathe free.

I have had my large nose pressed against the window glass over your way for ages, but was much too intimidated to step in and get your august attention with my silly questions. Now, I think we have common cause in that wonderful educational approach to sharing knowledge that you suggested tackling together. I was SO chuffed when you asked me to do that with you!

You just gotta get used to me being a rather large, clumsy but well-meaning old furry critter whose growl is much worse than my non-existant bite. Miaow!”

Forgive? :( L/L

The Urban Pepper
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

I picked these today:) The weather is 95 plus degrees now and the fruits are getting smaller. That’s all I’ve  got to say about that.

yummystuff

Attachments:
    LionLady
    LionLady
    Participant

Mr. Pepper picked a peck –

Pickled or not, THESE ARE GORGEOUS!

I wanna do that, too! When do the classes start??? Enquiring lions wanna know . . .
    :) L/L

The Urban Pepper
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

Lots of  Questions for Mrs. Lion lady,

They are absolutely gorgeous:) What are your average temps in your area? Do I see irrigation and if yes, is it well water? What do you feed them? Do you treat them with anything for pests?

What kind of room do you have to work with inside? Are you thinking about dedicating a whole room like me? What do you want to grow inside?

Mr Pepper

LionLady
        LionLady
        Participant

Hi, Green Guy:

Answers forthcoming –

Average Temps: It’s a crapshoot these days. Right now, we’re in a heat wave: daytime temps hovering around 100 – in the shade! Nigh time temps dropping into the mid-40’s. How’s THAT for a temp-spread? It’s crazy. If I had to take a shot at average outdoor temps, I’d say 80’s – mid-90’s from about 10AM – @ 6PM. Indoors? Way different – this is a well-insulated house so we open it up at night to chill it off and then close it up before the sun hits it – the rooms vary but most are between 70 – 78 or so throughout the day. We use ceiling fans to keep the air moving and feeling about 10 degrees cooler than it is, but then I have to water-spritz the indoor plants to keep them from drying out. It’s VERY dry here – California disaster drought, y’know – so the air is pretty dry most of the time except for the occasional fly-by monsoonal stuff off the southern Pacific. Hot and humid with no rain, unfortunately. But that’s rare.

No built-in irrigation as out here we don’t need it – everything goes back into the land, here, even via the septic leach fields. We have both a well for yard watering as well as an artesian spring that is prolific and keeps our fire-services-mandated lake filled and moving as well as two very large water tanks full and brimming over because we are in the watershed area of the coastal range. On this side, we get all the rain/runoff and the vegetation; on the other, western side, it’s a more arid climate. So, yes – we have water – really gorgeous water, actually. Knock on wood; we have neighbors whose wells have dried up and we give thanks regularly that our spring is still ‘springing’.

Plant food includes monthly fish emulsion sprays plus we use broken-up decomposed cow-pats from our contented Angus herd at the ranch that are worked into the soil, lots of kitchen and veggie composted green stuff, all the cast-offs from the large old orchard at the ranch, plus lake-bottom soil from our neighbor’s large lake dredgings.

I used to use a PH meter that checked about 5 different aspects of the soil, but here the stuff is so good that it’s loaded with earthworms, is crumbly and dark, and seems to grow huge, productive plants without insect issues. If I do find little beasts, they are generally hand-picked off and disposed of. Otherwise, I’ve made up my own cayenne/onion/hot sauce spray (works great!), wood ash and oakwood shavings for other pests like slugs, earwigs or sowbugs and coffee grounds for everybody else. The biggest problems aren’t insects – it’s destructive squirrels and snarky blue-jays who dig up seeds and plants, looking for bugs and worms. They also are grape-fiends at present!

We have chosen to be strictly organic in our growing methods and also are seed-savers who usually do our own ‘starts’ from scratch early in the year from heirlooms we’ve grown and liked. This year, we moved to a new place so had to start the gardens all over very late in the game which has limited what we’ve been able to do. Next year, however, it will be quite different since the winter will be used to enrich both gardens and prep more growing beds.

Indoor space? Not so much – except in winter I can convert a good part of my studio workspace over to growing surfaces and there are large appliance surfaces available up high in the back ‘mudroom’ area plus some kitchen furniture surface areas available. There are two windows in the studio, but that side of the house is near the hillside behind us so the room doesn’t get much sunshine during the day. The rooms also are very cool, usually holding between 60 degrees during the day and in the high 40s at night. The house is heated via the big living room fireplace and, again via the ceiling fans, which send the heat down the corridors and into the other rooms. I do have space heaters, but they are expensive so are only used for rooms we are occupying and turned off when we’re not there. Doors are kept closed for unoccupied rooms. The really great space, which surprised us last winter, was the cellar – which stayed amazingly cozy throughout even the coldest nights. No light down there, though, other than artificial. But LOTS of room! It’s our root cellar, basically.

As for what would we like to grow – well, it would be lovely to have salad greens, tomatoes, peppers (both hot and sweet), and whatever works for staying healthy over the winter months. I generally put up things like cabbage and we keep beets, turnips, rutabaga and parsnips as well as squash, onions, garlic, carrots, etc. in cold storage and have other things dried, frozen, or canned. It’s the fresh greenies and crispy, tasty things we miss. That’s what I’d like to be able to produce.

Your insights, thoughts and advice will be much appreciated!
        L/L – and Partner, who is eager to hear what you have to say about all this!

The Urban Pepper
          The Urban Pepper
          Participant

Mrs Lion Lady,

Thanks for the detailed input, let me chew on it for a few days. I’ll put some new pics together and we’ll go from there. Get some thoughts ( Lion Lady Visions) together where you guys can grow inside.

Thank You:)

Mr Pepper

Attachments:
    LionLady
    LionLady
    Participant

Hi, Mr. P:

Here are a couple of pics of my very own green yummies, just so you know I do have the ability to convince some things to grow nicely right there in the lovely dirt of my own small garden eden. Now, as to container gardening indoors – that remains to be seen.

Here ya’ go:

Nasturtums-Chives-Rue-Etc.-in-GardenLuscious-Lettuce

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

I made some hot oil for a pasta( spaghetti ) dish last night. I use olive oil, garlic, fresh parsley, 8 green chile peppers, 1 paper lantern, 1 Habanero and 2 hungarian wax peppers (left the seeds in all of them). This dish was very hot:) I didn’t cook down the peppers, I just put them in the chopper and made a nice sauce with some heat.

Picture-033Picture-030

Mr Pepper

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

Vey Nice Mr. Pepper – I got heartburn just imagining your meal. As a co-incidence, I just finished packing dried home grown peppermint into mason jars and vacuum sealing them for those tummy ache occasions when Cog eats to much spicy food… or ice cream lol.

Without ruining the debut of Cog’s carpentry (plumbing and electric) I have a few images of this week’s kitchen endeavors.

First-salsa-of-season

omg counter space

pickles and blackberry jam

The first two hundred tomatoes are sitting in my sunroom along with 30 green peppers, 50 onions and a bushel of corn from our farming neighbors. So, I guess I’ll see you guys in August. Oh. Wait.

I have more squash (both yellow and zucchini) to blanch and freeze. Another round of green beans were picked today and the farmer’s wife gave me instructions on how to can them.

Out in the garden the large tomato patch (one of four) has a wicked blight with this past week of rain, but I think I can keep them on life support until most of those tomatoes have begun ripening. My butternut squash is crawling everywhere and flowering crazy. Does anyone know what I do with THAT when it matures? lol  The cucumber plants keep dying, but then sent up new shoots and offspring to continue producing (moar pickles).

With this continued cool weather, the bees are downright confused. I find them huddled together inside the larger veggie flowers. Even the butterflies are scarce. Strange summer.

Attachments:
        The Urban Pepper
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Mrs Cog,

Thank you for adding some different and beautiful content to the tread:)

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Some interesting information on Peppers. High in vitamin C

Green Chile

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2767/2

Green sweet Pepper

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/7364/2

Hungarian wax Pepper

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3045/2

Mr Pepper

Picture-004

Picture-002

Attachments:
    Disenchanted
    Disenchanted
    Participant

Are you ok Mr. Pepper? Missing seeing new pictures of your various projects and their delicious looking by-products.

I may not always comment but I always look at your latest posts.

Here’s the differences between you and I.

You are a ‘doer’, I’m a dreamer(head in books/clouds).

You have green thumbs, mine are brown.

You grow your own, In season I go to the local farmers and buy produce.

You go out, work hard and grow grow grow beautiful things, I’m a lazy ‘git’.

You produce, I consume.

I really admire what you’re doing and the ‘fruits of your labors’. Please keep on showing us those fruits. :)

The picture directly above my post, MMM…MMM…good!

"There is a dream dreaming all of us." ~ Kalahari Bushmen

The Urban Pepper
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

Hey Disenchanted,

I’m glad you’re back from your tour in the Matrix® I really appreciate the positive feedback. I’m just trying to find some balance as I’ve been all over the place for the last month. I wish I had a tenth of your book reading background, all you guys are light years ahead of me. I read all the threads and I’m really glad you started Random Droppings ( great name). Thanks on the tags:)

Here’s a sauce I did for some pasta the other day. I did it a little different this time. I put in the chopper/grinder olive oil, a bunch of cayenne peppers red/green( hot), paper lantern peppers( Hotter), Hungarian wax peppers, garlic ( store bought), parsley, basil and two whole red tomatoes. It turned out really good as I’m trying to find that perfect hottness ( balance) I think I found it:)

I found a version of an AP song last night that I’ll post, I think you’ll like it.

Thanks

Mr Pepper

Picture-018Picture-017Picture-0201

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

*****Breaking News alert*****

*****Breaking News alert*****

These are some very hot peppers I picked recently. They should keep producing till November. I bought some different pasta hence the breaking news alert.

Mr Pepper™

mixhotoilpastanewpastayeaPicture-0041

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

Alert the media indeed. The Urban Pepper has broken out of his elbow macaroni era and ventured into penne and ziti. It warm’s a chef’s heart lol.

Ya know, it comes in ABCs and bow ties too. ;-)

alphabet-pasta

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Some peppers I recently picked, they’re Hungarian wax( hot) and Paper lanterns (very hot:)

The little gem romaine lettuce is from the grow room and I had to buy some tomatoes  from the grocery store. I did buy the on the vine variety.

I was really craving a BLT:)

Picture-0021Picture-0033Picture-0041

Mr Pepper

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

Oh yes Urban Pepper – I immediately see the improvement! These paper plates are much prettier. LOL

NICE work on the veggies… and none of that shwaggy bacon either – you went for the thick stuff. And now I want a BLT too. :-)

The Urban Pepper
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Here are some of the last peppers for the year. That wind storm we had a few days ago did some real damage to the plants. I won’t be able to save those plants during the winter. I wanted to bring that Trinidad scorpion pepper plant inside but I don’t think I can salvage it.

Picture-007Picture-0061

Mr Pepper

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Question: What happens when you give Mr Pepper a little direction on different types of pasta?

Answer: Mr Pepper expands his horizons and discovers a whole new world:)

BLT News: 5 types of lettuce on a BLT, that’s crazy talk.

Keep calm and keep growing, Mr Pepper™

Picture-0133Picture-014Picture-0091Picture-0113

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

That’s enough out of you Pepper!! I see what you’re doing here, with the covert bacon pics on your home grown food thread. The subliminal suggestion of thick warm bacon poking out from beneath your tomatoes and “five types” of lettuce… I’m on to you Mister.

No more sneaky bacon images! I have quarantined your pork products to their own location where my waist-line will not be directly effected by your programming. Don’t expect me to enlarge images over there either. :-)

http://twoicefloes.com/forums/topic/all-things-bacon/

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

How many peppers did Mr pepper pick? There could be a prize for the exact number of peppers. I was bored and counted them twice:)

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Last nights Din Din

Well since I’m growing all this organic basil without chemtrails contrails in the grow room, it’s time to start using it in bulk. I did this easy pasta dish and some hot sausage on the grill. Mrs Cog we don’t need a sausage thread as I don’t do them that often:) and on a lighter note can you please expand the pictures:-) From idea to table in less than 30 minutes and I have lots of leftovers.

Keep calm and keep growing, Mr Pepper

Picture-029Picture-031Picture-032Picture-034

Attachments:
    LionLady
    LionLady
    Participant

Howdy, Y’all:

Well, I hate to rain on anyone’s parade here, but there’s an increasing issue regarding the loading of images when one hits this (and a few other foodie/image) threads here of late. It takes a LOOOOOOONG time for the thread to load and, as one is attempting to read, it leaps about and gets incredibly twitchy for ages, until all of the images are up and running. I think we have another incipient NO EMBEDS issue about to pop, here.

Sorry, ’cause I LOVE to see what Mr. P. is up to; however, waiting for the thread to stop jumping and jiving in order to comment or post is getting harder and harder.

Simply a word to the perpetrators/webmeisters/instigators who might be listening. :)

L/L

The topic ‘Home grown food’ is closed to new replies.

Thoughts From Cognitive Dissonance Ψ ψ

s2Member®