Indoor Gardens and Hydroponics

Home Forums Member Created Forums The Urban Pepper’s Forum Indoor Gardens and Hydroponics

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

This is QE 2 of the TIF/Online School for Inspirational Indoor Gardeners with a different name.  It’s for anyone who wants to share their indoor experiences so we can all grow together.

Keep calm and keep growing, Mr Pepper

The Urban Pepper
      Participant

I’m really impressed with these Hydro gardens, I think I’m going to pick up another one and a light for it on Friday. The growth rate is absolutely incredible in these things and they are super easy to maintain.

If you want to do some indoor gardening that is super easy to maintain, I highly recommend these inexpensive units.

hydrogarden1

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Yowie
      Participant

Well, you might be interested to know you have inspired me to try this out myself.

Here is my attempt at growing garlic hydroponically, half indoor, half outdoors as it were , on my 12th floor balcony.  The novelty here is I am using worm wee as a nutrient, which seems to be working pretty well, with some caveats.  The gadgets are a pH/EC meter and a camera I was using to judge growth rates.

DSC00336_modified

Attachments:
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Yowie

Awesome job on the set up, you really made my day, month year seeing it. I like the way you used the containers in a small space. You’ve got me thinking and that’s good. I hope you don’t mind but I have to asked you a lot of questions. What are the warnings with using worm wee? I have seen it in a mixture form at the Hydroponics store. Are you using a mixture or straight worm wee? Do you like what you’re seeing with the system? Are you going to expand it? What kind of media are you using in the top container? How is the meter working out for you?

I hope you will keep us updated on the progress so we can all learn and grow together.

Thanks again for sharing:)

Yowie
          Participant

>> I like the way you used the containers in a small space.

Thanks, I went for the rectangular container for that reason.

>> What are the warnings with using worm wee?

I am noticing that the pH is is a problem.  When it comes out of the worm farm, in my case it is rather high – up around 8.5 or 9, which is crazy high and will not be good for the plants.  However, given time, once the critters in there run out of food and everything dies off, I should end up with something somewhat neutral.  I am yet to confirm this, but the evidence is pointing to it.  My gut feel is it needs a 3 month maturation process before it is usable.

>> I have seen it in a mixture form at the Hydroponics store. Are you using a mixture or straight worm wee?

I am diluting it with water for the most part, though to manage the pH in the system I have tried using various mild acidic and basic substances to adjust it.  In my case it comes out of the farm with an EC of about 9, so dilution has been about 4:1, which seems to be about right.

>> Do you like what you’re seeing with the system?

I am now.  My first attempt with potted vegetables (washing the soil off the roots first) was not successful and most of them died.  I think it was down to the pH and other factors in the mix, but it may have been the fact I didn’t remove all the soil from the roots – contrary to some advice I have read.  Obviously the garlic is grown from the clove, so it starts with no root system or soil at all.  I have been observing a growth rate in the garlic of some 8-10mm per day.  I don’t know if that is fast or not, but it’s definitely not bad.

>> Are you going to expand it?

Probably not, this is a trial of the concept and I don’t have a lot of room on the balcony as I have a bunch of other pots with conventional soil in them.  Having said that, I am looking at how I might convert some of my self-watering planters to hydroponic (and back again) as needs arise.

>> What kind of media are you using in the top container?

50/50 perlite and vermiculite

>> How is the meter working out for you?

Good so far – it’s a cheap Chinese model but is doing OK. You can get them on eBay for ~$100 if you look around.  Had this one shipped from a seller in Hong Kong.  It also has a temperature readout.

The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Yowie,

Can you give us an update on your garlic experiment?

Yowie
          Participant

I regret to say I had to call the experiment to an early close.  Insofar as I was able to continue it though, I would say a success.  Bulbs were forming nicely, and I estimate perhaps 6 or 8 weeks to maturity.  To be honest, I was surprised it worked with pretty much diluted worm wee alone.

Background is, I returned from Christmas vacation to find a letter from the agent advising of an imminent inspection. :-(  In the interests of maintaining the manifestly false appearance of a respectable member of civil society, I thought better of leaving my contraption in place.  As an aside, many of my worms had decided to escape (must’ve been lonely) and committed suicide on the floor of the balcony, which required quite a bit of cleaning on top o the effort to dismantle the hydroponics and dispose of the ‘evidence’.

It did however, give me some ideas for a design for a modular system, as I suspect it may for you.  Some things I learned:

1.  That kind of container (100 litres) is too large – once the well in the bottom is filled with fluid and medium saturated, the whole thing weighs 20kg or more making it hard to move.

2.  Having one container on top of the other makes maintenance a problem.

3.  Perlite and vermiculite are best kept away from windy conditions such as exist on apartment balconies!

4.  Despite what I suggested previously, the pH does not seem to moderate of its own accord.  Also, I suspect it does not matter as much as I had suggested, as the nutrients are already in solution, so should not affect the ability of the plants to take them up.

Hope that’s helpful, and thanks also for the great ideas – it’s been interesting.  I may revisit this again at some stage.

Y

The Urban Pepper
            Participant

Yowie,

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate run in with the agents, they can put a damper on anything that is outside the everyday construct.I really hope you revisit this again and thanks again for sharing your experience with us.

The Urban Pepper
      Participant

There’s moar to basil than meets the eye,

I was searching for an article this morning on TIF and as usual I got sidetracked with the basil article http://twoicefloes.com/the-tif-catalog-of-works/mrs-cogs-link-library/wellness-vs-healthsickcare/natural-medicine/natural-substances/basil-p/

I started reading it and clicking on the provided links for moar sidetracking and I decided to give you insane people an update. I never did find the intended article, but that’s okay there’s always another day.

Picture-016Picture-012

Attachments:
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

My newest member to the grow room,

I was at the local Home improvement store the other day returning something and this lady in front of me was returning a lemon plant that she swears is a lime plant. After she completed her very loud rude rant and transaction, I inquired about the plant and asked what they do with them and they replied that it would be thrown away. Now this made Mr Pepper sad:( and I asked if I could buy it instead, so they asked a manager and he said no.

While I was shopping I ran into another manager that knows me well and I asked him if I could buy the plant and he said of course you can and I’ll give it to you for one buck if that’s okay with you. I was blown away at this and gladly accepted his offer. I brought the lemon plant home with me and put it in the grow room as it is too cold outside.

Picture-047

Attachments:
        On the Beach
        Participant

Good for you Mr. Pepper.

I hope it does well, but I know She is proud of you.

The Urban Pepper
      Participant

Tons of Info on Hydroponics and Aquaponics

I have some friends who have these towers and the production that they get from them is incredible.They want to give me a couple of them to try out this year, I haven’t accepted the offer because I’m not sure where to put them. I will keep you TIFer’s posted.

http://www.zengardner.com/solutions-off-grid-empowerment-via-hydroponics/

The Urban Pepper
      Participant

It’s that time of year again,

I started these today for the new garden next month. I’m going to do the Hydroponic bucket system again but with a better mix.I will be trying a different style on the raised beds this year.I’ve been reading about them for years and It’s time to try it.

IMG_20150207_094355

Attachments:

Sunday was warm with the temps hitting the low sixty’s and the sky a brilliant blue. This had Mrs. Cog in full on outdoors mode and thinking about how her summer garden will grow. Only a few months away at this point, at least for the cool weather crops.

Now what did I do with that rototiller?

Cognitive Dissonance

The Urban Pepper
      Participant

Cogs favorite and the Spinach seedlings

Seem to be slackers in the sprouting department or maybe they aren’t Cogs favorite to begin with.

The rest will be ready to plant in the new garden mid March.

Mr Pepper

Attachments:

Urban Pepper

You said….”Cogs favorite and the Spinach seedlings“.

I can’t wait to see how well your complete set of titanium drill bits come out. I can never get my seeds to germinate. I have better luck with the radishes, but they don’t fit well in my Porter Cable cordless drill.  :-)

Cognitive Dissonance

The Urban Pepper
          Participant

I was referring to these favorites

http://www.vegaproduce.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_detail/green-zucchini1.jpg

Carry on, Mr Pepper

Hi Urban Prepper,

I just came across this video and site I thought would peak your interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mrKexPh1nM

and related:  http://foodrising.org/

The Urban Pepper
        Participant

High Desert Homesteading,

Thanks for the great video share and what a wonderful message Mr Adams conveys. I absolutely love it!!

I dabbled with that format 2 years ago and I wasn’t comfortable with the root results, they just didn’t look as healthy as the root systems with the air and water pumps. It may have been just me and how I perceived the contrast between the two styles. It might be worth a second look down the road.

My next project after the backyard garden, is the hydroponic bucket system I have on the side porch.I’m going to add 5 more buckets to it and I really want to get that system on solar power this year. Those are the things I’m currently working on and having a blast while doing it.

keep calm and keep growing, Mr Pepper

Urban pepper, you joined the thread I just started on passive solar greenhouses. We are definitely going to add a lot of hydroponic systems, Dws, float beds, some vertical stuff and flood and drain beds. Anything that can work with small air our water pumps as we are totally off grid. Should be this spring. It will all be new to us.I think we might be communicating on this stuff.  look forward to it.

The Urban Pepper
      Participant

If you like your hydroponics, you can keep your hydroponics.

Here’s an update on the system: Part one of the small solar system is set up and running.It’s a small two hundred watt 2 panel system that runs the system with ease so far. The hydroponics system is completely off grid now:-)

I’ve got strawberries, green,red and yellow peppers and one tomato plant in the system so far. The growth rate and health of the plants are awesome compared to the stuff that’s in the ground.

I moved the hydro gardens from inside to the system platform this year ( strawberries) I really like those hydro gardens and I would like to pick up a few more of them.

I rebuilt the platform this year to house the solar components. The components area had to be weather proofed so a rebuild was needed.

I should be able to complete the six or seven remaining buckets this week and then I’ll move on to the front tea/ raspberry garden.

IMG_20150403_100537IMG_20150405_105547

keep calm and keep growing, Mr Pepper

Attachments:
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thoughts From Cognitive Dissonance Ψ ψ

s2Member®