Lemon Trees – Putting the Pucker in Prepping

Home Forums Member Created Forums Proper Prepping and Transitioning with the Cogs Lemon Trees – Putting the Pucker in Prepping

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I get very excited when I come across plants that are productive, pretty AND easy to raise under many conditions. The more idiot-proof the plant, the more confident I am to grow it well. :-)

I’m not sure if lemon trees are a new fad in the prepping world or if perhaps I am now noticing all the articles about them because I have become interested. Move them indoors for winter, grow them in apartments, they do well in small pots and limited spaces, they can produce year round, the benefits go on and on.

My seeds, extracted delicately from their white hull, were procured from inside four organic Meyer lemons. They are now sitting cozy in a warm damp paper towel, inside a zip lock baggie waiting to sprout over the next one or two weeks. As per Urban Pepper’s request, here are some wonderful links with more information.

lets make lemonade

Keymaster

I like this guy Mitchell. He’s just a normal person, living in Canada (cold climate) who figured out the lemon tree from scratch routine and took the time to share it on his YouTube channel. He has a number of lemon tree videos. This is the first one I found, which is exactly how I obtained my seeds. (Note: – I peeled my lemons rather than cutting them and risking damage to any seeds.) HOW TO GROW A LEMON TREE FROM SEED! WORKS EVERY TIME!

And great articles packed with information:

How to Grow an Endless Supply of Lemons Indoors

16 Remarkable Health Benefits of Lemons

Homemade Vitamin C

Here is what appears to be a reputable seller of citrus plants with a fountain of information about lemon trees, the varieties, how to re-pot, grow and care for them, even pruning. Great stuff under “Tips and Advice”. Four Winds Growers

Keymaster

My lemon tree seeds have germinated after 11 days. I have transferred them to their pots in a sunny South window.

lemon-tree-seedsnew-lemon-trees-started

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        On the BeachOn the Beach
        Participant

I admit I have not read the preceding info you have linked to Mrs COG, but I was under the impression that most commercially grown citrus crops are almost all grafted stock. I grew up in Riverside California and know almost all those trees were grafted. I don’t know what they use for root stock but think most of the fruit producing tops of the trees are not really developed for stand alone growth.

It will be interesting to see what happens with your seeds as they turn into little lemon bushes. We always had several lemon trees, leaving the crop on the trees for year around use. Citrus can be grown here in Iba Luzon, but not much is, mainly a local pomelo.

I miss limes though. Can’t make a good margarita without fresh limes! All there is here is calamansi, not the same at all.

Keymaster

Oh, I’m glad you chimed in, thank you. I did a bit of research about this and it appears we can get citrus fruit from either grafting or seeds. There are pros and cons to each, but I am much more knowledgeable now that I looked this up. Although there are some conflicting reports out there (hahaha – when are there NOT these days?), most sites seem to agree with this man who is a Master Gardener/Nurseryman and seems to be a wealth of information.

The Citrus Guy on growing lemons from seed

Keymaster

The first of the lemon trees have decided to poke through and grace us with their presence.

Lemon-Trees-2-3-2015

Attachments:
      Keymaster

Still going strong. I would imagine if it would stop raining (apologies to dry California for complaining) and the sun would shine in earnest for a few days, their growth will pick up considerably.

Lemon-Tree-Update-4-24-15

Attachments:
      Keymaster

Freeze Your Lemons! This is brilliant!

http://expandedconsciousness.com/2015/05/30/freezing-your-healthy-lemons/

And this: 15 Ways Drinking Lemon Water Will Completely Transform Your Health

http://consciouslifenews.com/15-ways-drinking-lemon-water-will-completely-transform-health/1187962/

The Urban PepperThe Urban Pepper
        Participant

The lemon water idea is awesome and so simple. I needed an idea for the one lemon I picked the other day and now I have it:)

IMG_20150608_102519

Mr Pepper

Attachments:
      Keymaster

Nine months later, the lemon trees are still growing. They have grown thorns, not an uncommon development with young trees as a defense mechanism.

Those-lemon-trees-keep-growing

Attachments:
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thoughts From Cognitive Dissonance Ψ ψ

s2Member®