Root Vegetables

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by The Urban Pepper The Urban Pepper 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

I friend gave me these after I helped him set up his hydroponic system on Saturday. The big clunky ones are Cassava root and the sticks are Yucca root.

Picture-003

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Cassava root: slice off 2 inch sections from ends and the middle. Then shove them in the ground, do not bury them. Then just walk away and they will sprout and propagate in about a month. No fertilizer, no water, pay no attention as they don’t want you to watch:)

Attachments:
      The Urban Pepper
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

Yucca sticks: Just stick them in the ground 4-6 inches and walk away.

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

First batch of potatoes

Picture-002

Attachments:

I may just be a sick bastard……but oftentimes when viewing your images I’m more curious about the containers holding whatever you are taking a picture of than the actual item imaged.

Is there any hope for me? Am I too far gone? Should you put a fork in my because I’m done?

Cognitive Dissonance

The Urban Pepper
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Mr Cog,

No, Yes and Yes.

Disenchanted
          Disenchanted
          Participant

That ‘tater container looks like a plastic bag…

Just trying to help. ;p

"There is a dream dreaming all of us." ~ Kalahari Bushmen

The Urban Pepper
            The Urban Pepper
            Participant

Disenchanted,

I’m going to start a container forum soon. What do you think? Did you like the tags in what are you listening to now?

Picture-092Picture-064

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
              Keymaster

Love the container trivia… you should start the thread Mr. Pepper. I have killed plants in almost every type out there and could use all the advice and ideas you have! :-)

http://fivegallonideas.com/

Disenchanted
              Disenchanted
              Participant

Mr. Pepper asked:

Did you like the tags in what are you listening to now?

Ok it took me awhile to figure that out, but yes and thanks for the compliment. lol! It might have been more accurate if you had put, “Disenchanted really rocks, but his chair sure does squeak.” ;p

About that container forum, should we encourage the sickness of our “key master?” I think the ‘patient’ just needs some more goat videos…that will set him right.

"There is a dream dreaming all of us." ~ Kalahari Bushmen

Mrs Cog
                Keymaster

Far better than goat videos and yanking Cog’s chain, the recently deceased zucchini have turned to zombies, some plants magically coming back to life after the recent cold snap, but several producing zucchini even though they are disco. (Disco is dead.) I have taken to blanching and freezing it for those winter months when Cog may forget his aversion to the poor green vegetable. :-)

Binkman… er the Keymaster Cog should be back to his regular scheduled blogging and available for torment by goat video as soon as the kitchen rebuild is complete (next week).

On the Beach
    On the Beach
    Participant

Cassava is eaten here as a starch to complement all the rice they eat. It is a weed growing everywhere. If you can not grow cassava you have a dead thumb, not a black one. It is unbelievably hardy and tough. You have to boil the root senseless and then pound it into paste to be added to other dishes, or dry the boiled mush and grind it to a powder that can be used in other dishes. My family here sometimes just boils it up and eats the root like a boiled potato or boiled sweet potato. Yuck…… entirely tasteless.

The Urban Pepper
      The Urban Pepper
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback.  Here they are after one month. It’s time for phase two which involves off property planting. I’m totally jazzed on these things.

Picture-087Picture-091

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
    Keymaster

On a lighter note…

Why do potatoes make good detectives? Because they keep their eyes peeled.

How do you describe an angry potato? Boiling Mad.

What do you call a stolen yam? A hot potato.

One day two potatoes, who were best friends, were walking together down the street. They stepped off the curb and a speeding car came around the corner and ran one of them over. The uninjured potato called 911 and helped his injured friend as best he was able. The injured potato was taken to emergency at the hospital and rushed into surgery. After a long and agonizing wait, the doctor finally appeared. He told the uninjured potato, “I have good news, and I have bad news. The good news is that your friend is going to pull through.” “The bad news is that he’s going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life”.

OK. I’ll make myself stop now. :-)

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

I’m going to open the bottom board of the potato box this week. The first batch was done a month earlier in a, wait for it.. 10 gallon container. I will post the pictures of the ceremony later in the week :)

Mr Pepper

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thoughts From Cognitive Dissonance Ψ ψ

s2Member®