The 2015 Backyard Garden

Home Forums Member Created Forums The Urban Pepper’s Forum The 2015 Backyard Garden

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by The Urban Pepper The Urban Pepper 3 years ago.

• Author
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Weeds, we don’t need no stinking weeds!

It’s that time of year again, time to start preparing the new garden.This year I’m doing something a little different than the previous four years.

I hated pulling weeds as a child and I hate it even more being an adult. They are total time robbers and let’s face it they just don’t look “Pretty”. Using the tea garden last year as a test for weed control using mulch,I would venture to say it was 99.9% successful.

The mulch I used on the tea garden really wasn’t the ideal one to use ( lesson learned). This year I’m using 100% organic mulch for the backyard garden. I’ve been reading about this style for years and with the test under my belt, it’s time to go all in.

I got the garden weeded 100% and picked up 125 bags of organic mulch for a really good price.The idea is to lay the mulch 4 inches thick over the irrigation and soil. This will eliminate the weeds getting sun to grow. This method also helps keep the moisture in therefor requiring a lot less water.

Being that the mulch is organic, it will breakdown and compost over time thus making it an ideal long term solution.

I did a test area with some pepper plants that I salvaged from last year. I’m doing the new irrigation off the old system and it’s working perfect.

Keep calm and keep growing, Mr Pepper

IMG_20150218_103342

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mrs Cog
    Keymaster

I have major garden envy. Here you are installing new drip systems while we are willing the temperatures to get above 0° today. And mulch too! You’re killing us lol. :-)

Thank you for sharing and inspiring everyone. Hopefully we are only a handful of weeks away from sunshine and preliminary garden chores.

Zenscreamer
      Zenscreamer
      Participant

I second that garden envy, but

Hopefully we are only a handful of weeks away from sunshine

seems amazingly optimistic here in New England! I know some people plant peas on St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th) but it almost always seems too early to me, and this year is liable to be even worse than usual. Maybe two handfuls of weeks? LOL

Mr. Pepper, once again I am impressed with all you are accomplishing!

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Thank you Zen and Mrs Cog for your kind words:)

I got a lot of work done on the new garden in the last ten days.Weeding and irrigation are a 100% complete. I’ve put down over a 150 bags of organic mulch in and around the garden area.( only 75 to go, Yea!!!)

We had a one day freeze here and I lost my pepper plants that I did in the test area:( Some of the others did survive.

These are what I have planted so far, two kinds of Tomato, yellow squash, cucumbers and two different hot pepper plants from last year.I still have 30 plants that will be ready to plant in a week or two.

I started 98 new plants early this morning and most of them will be ready to transplant in 30-40 days.

My goal is to have everything completed in the next 45 days. This includes the Hydroponic system and the tea garden.

weedbufferIMG_20150301_110327

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Garden update,

Side garden is irrigated, mulched and waiting for some additional plants from the grow room.The raised beds (3) are ready for plants. I planted some Blueberry and Raspberry plants in the big garden. I transplanted the basil plants from the grow room on the fence line of the big garden.

I’ve been propagating tomato plants from plants I started 3 months ago in the grow room. I could not get the plants to pollinate in the room,Talking and singing to them just didn’t work. I have been able to produce 15 new plants so far. I’ve put a couple outside and given a few away.

I used the potato boxes I made last year and turned them into compost bins and I’m getting into the habit of using them daily:)

I’m now starting on the Dutch bucket hydroponics system this week, getting it cleaned up and ready for plants in the next couple of weeks. I’m also adding a small solar panel system to run it. The system will be 100% off grid, I’m very excited about that prospect.

I cleaned up the whole entire backyard and the only thing left to buy is a hammock so I can relax, maybe do some reading and more tree time. I’ll see you TIF’ers in ten days.

keep calm and keep growing, Mr Pepper

IMG_20150310_085801IMG_20150308_132800PANO_20150311_104407

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Okay so I lied about seeing you TIFer’s in ten days.

I’ve been super busy working on the gardens ( raised beds, side garden, back garden,front tea garden, grow room and the hydroponic system).

Here’s what I have growing so far and I’m positive that I’ll get more ideas from that certain person that always shares stuff.

Cherry Radish
    Celebrity Tomato
    Cherry Tomato
    Yellow Squash
    Zucchini
    Strawberry
    Raspberry
    Blueberry
    Lemon
    Green, red and yellow peppers
    Cayenne Pepper
    Trinidad scorpion pepper
    Paper lantern pepper
    Cucumbers
    Lemon balm and peppermint tea
    Kale
    Arugula
    Basil
    Cilantro
    Lemon grass
    Little gem lettuce
    Thyme
    Egg plant
    Cassava
    Yucca
    Mesclun greens
    Aloe ( I found this in the back corner 5 plants)

I’m also currently working on the solar power system for the hydroponic set up and it should be running off the sun in a few weeks:-)

IMG_20150321_075610IMG_20150323_134456

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

What an inspiration you are Mr. Pepper! Your strawberries have berries! The yellow flowers are blooming on your cucumbers and tomatoes turning red already. I can’t wait until our weather catches up to yours. Thanks so much for the updates. :-)

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

The side garden is nearly complete with the following veggies, cherry radish, cucumbers, cherry tomato, celebrity tomato, yellow squash, zucchini squash and a very very hot trinidad scorpion pepper that has a heat index of 1,463,700 Scoville heat units.OUCH!!!!!

I just need to add a few bug and worm deterrent plants like Marigolds and Borage to complete it.

IMG_20150405_105604IMG_20150403_100459

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Garden update

The mulch garden is working extremely well for weed control and keeping the moisture in. I finally got some much needed rain the last few days and the mulch is suppose to protect the plants from over watering. I’ll let you know when I see this happen. I’ve lost a lot of plants from some abnormal storms over the years.

The grow room is down to one light with some tea plants that will be planted this week, all the plants are in their proper homes at this time. I’ll shut the room down until colder weather later in the year or maybe I’ll do some microgreens in there.

The back garden is almost done, I’ve got about six feet of open space and need to rearrange some pepper plants from last year that came back to life:) to fill that space in.

I’m about a month late this year with the garden than last. This year I did a lot more prep and I think it was the right thing to do. It’s a lot easier to maintain, a lot less water and a lot more rewarding.

I’m starting to pick a little here and there and I can hardly wait for full production to kick up in a month or so.

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

I found some much needed gumption today and did some things to the front garden and the side garden today:-)

I got the marigolds planted for horn worm protection for the tomato plants.I planted some Blueberry, Blackberry and Strawberry up in the front tea garden. I should have that area completely finished by the weekend.

The cucumbers are starting to pop as are the tomatoes. The cayenne peppers are producing and the paper lanterns are blooming.

The weeds are under control with the mulch and the soil beneath is staying moist. I’ve been getting lot’s of much needed rain after a very dry March.

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

The back garden is still not complete, I am undecided what to do with the back corner. I’m leaning towards more berries, watt to do, watt to do?

The tomato plants are doing really well, lots of them without splits in them. This is my best year with yellow squash production. The paper lanterns and cayenne peppers are producing. I’ve picked 8 giant cucumbers so far,I love fresh cucumbers. The production is really starting to pick up now:)

IMG_20150506_110910IMG_20150502_120244

Attachments:

Mrs Cog
      Keymaster

Mr. Pepper

Your garden looks amazing. From the looks of those exploding cucumber plants it may be time to bite the bullet and… (I’m just going to say this out loud)… learn to can pickles. It only involves water bath canning, nothing fancy and very time consuming like pressure canning. It will only hurt a little lol. And should you decide to give in and try it, the kitchen of Two Ice Floes offers a special hotline just for Canning Emergencies and Can’t Wait questions. :-)

The Urban Pepper
        The Urban Pepper
        Participant

Mrs Cog says, and bless her heart as she means well (I’m just going to say this out loud)… learn to can pickles

I just don’t see myself having enough time to do this kind of stuff. But if I ever get the time and gumption, I’ll keep the special Two ice floes hotline in mind.

Mr Pepper

The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Food for Life

That’s what my friend from Florida said as he sent me these roots to grow last year. He said all you have to do is cut them into 2 inch slices and push them in the ground about 4 inches. He said you don’t have to do anything with them, just leave them alone and since I had a spot in the back corner of property, that’s what I did.

The Alata Yam http://www.eattheweeds.com/yam-a-the-alata/ I planted mid last year and it kind of died back during the colder months, but today it’s thriving.
    Health benefits
    Due to its medicinal constituents, Dioscorea Alata offers a number of health benefits. This plant is useful in overcoming various types of physical illness and problems. Other health benefits of Dioscorea Alata are listed below:

• Presence of high level of Vitamin B6 in Dioscorea Alata reduces depression among women.
    • The pace of converting the carbohydrates present in Dioscorea Alata into sugar is very sluggish, hence, helps to curb the increase of blood sugar level in the human body.
    • Dioscorea Alata elements prove beneficial for human urinary, respiratory and nervous systems.
    • High manganese content in Dioscorea Alata increases the energy level in human body.

Below are some additional links on this purple beauty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioscorea_alata

http://growerjim.blogspot.com/2014/02/winged-yam-name-dioscorea-alata.html

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32242/

http://www.onlyfoods.net/dioscorea-alata.html

yam-a-rootPicture-092IMG_20150630_180947IMG_20150630_180923

Attachments:
    The Urban Pepper
    The Urban Pepper
    Participant

Alata Yam update

This stuff is really growing now and I’ve done absolutely nothing to it other than take some pictures. I will try to harvest one later on in the year.

IMG_20150728_144210

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thoughts From Cognitive Dissonance Ψ ψ

s2Member®